Thursday, May 21, 2026
Washington DC
New York
Toronto
Distribution: (800) 510 9863
Press ID
  • Login
RH NEWSROOM National News and Press Releases. Local and Regional Perspectives. Media Advisories.
Yonkers Observer
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Finance
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Trend
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Finance
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Trend
No Result
View All Result
Yonkers Observer
No Result
View All Result
Home Culture

SAG-AFTRA defends Alec Baldwin after ‘Rust’ criminal charge

by Yonkers Observer Report
January 25, 2024
in Culture
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Hollywood performers union SAG-AFTRA on Thursday said it is not an actor’s job to be a firearms expert, in a statement defending actor Alec Baldwin, who is facing a criminal charge in New Mexico for his role in the accidental deadly shooting on the set of western movie “Rust.”

Baldwin last week was again charged with involuntary manslaughter, a fourth-degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison in the event of conviction.

While rehearsing a scene for the movie in October 2021, Baldwin was demonstrating how he would perform a cross-body draw of his prop revolver when the weapon fired a live bullet that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza. Baldwin maintains that he did not pull the trigger.

SAG-AFTRA said guidelines “do not make it the performer’s responsibility to check any firearm” and that “anyone issued a firearm on set must be given training and guidance in its safe handling and use, but all activity with firearms on a set must be under the careful supervision and control of the professional armorer and the employer.”

“An actor’s job is not to be a firearms or weapons expert,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement on Thursday. “Firearms are provided for use on set under the guidance of multiple expert professionals directly responsible for the safe and accurate operation of that firearm.”

New Mexico’s prosecution of Baldwin, 65, has been fraught. Last year, the district attorney who oversees Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, filed two involuntary manslaughter charges against Baldwin as well as the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who loaded the gun.

After Carmack-Altwies stepped down from the case, Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis took over as special prosecutors. In late April, they dropped the charges against the Hollywood star.

But the threat of criminal charges loomed again when the special prosecutors in October said they would convene a grand jury to consider indicting Baldwin.

Gutierrez Reed still faces charges of involuntary manslaughter. She has pleaded not guilty and her case is set to go to trial on Feb. 21.

Staff writer Meg James and Christi Carras contributed to this report.

Hollywood performers union SAG-AFTRA on Thursday said it is not an actor’s job to be a firearms expert, in a statement defending actor Alec Baldwin, who is facing a criminal charge in New Mexico for his role in the accidental deadly shooting on the set of western movie “Rust.”

Baldwin last week was again charged with involuntary manslaughter, a fourth-degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison in the event of conviction.

While rehearsing a scene for the movie in October 2021, Baldwin was demonstrating how he would perform a cross-body draw of his prop revolver when the weapon fired a live bullet that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza. Baldwin maintains that he did not pull the trigger.

SAG-AFTRA said guidelines “do not make it the performer’s responsibility to check any firearm” and that “anyone issued a firearm on set must be given training and guidance in its safe handling and use, but all activity with firearms on a set must be under the careful supervision and control of the professional armorer and the employer.”

“An actor’s job is not to be a firearms or weapons expert,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement on Thursday. “Firearms are provided for use on set under the guidance of multiple expert professionals directly responsible for the safe and accurate operation of that firearm.”

New Mexico’s prosecution of Baldwin, 65, has been fraught. Last year, the district attorney who oversees Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, filed two involuntary manslaughter charges against Baldwin as well as the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who loaded the gun.

After Carmack-Altwies stepped down from the case, Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis took over as special prosecutors. In late April, they dropped the charges against the Hollywood star.

But the threat of criminal charges loomed again when the special prosecutors in October said they would convene a grand jury to consider indicting Baldwin.

Gutierrez Reed still faces charges of involuntary manslaughter. She has pleaded not guilty and her case is set to go to trial on Feb. 21.

Staff writer Meg James and Christi Carras contributed to this report.

Hollywood performers union SAG-AFTRA on Thursday said it is not an actor’s job to be a firearms expert, in a statement defending actor Alec Baldwin, who is facing a criminal charge in New Mexico for his role in the accidental deadly shooting on the set of western movie “Rust.”

Baldwin last week was again charged with involuntary manslaughter, a fourth-degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison in the event of conviction.

While rehearsing a scene for the movie in October 2021, Baldwin was demonstrating how he would perform a cross-body draw of his prop revolver when the weapon fired a live bullet that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza. Baldwin maintains that he did not pull the trigger.

SAG-AFTRA said guidelines “do not make it the performer’s responsibility to check any firearm” and that “anyone issued a firearm on set must be given training and guidance in its safe handling and use, but all activity with firearms on a set must be under the careful supervision and control of the professional armorer and the employer.”

“An actor’s job is not to be a firearms or weapons expert,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement on Thursday. “Firearms are provided for use on set under the guidance of multiple expert professionals directly responsible for the safe and accurate operation of that firearm.”

New Mexico’s prosecution of Baldwin, 65, has been fraught. Last year, the district attorney who oversees Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, filed two involuntary manslaughter charges against Baldwin as well as the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who loaded the gun.

After Carmack-Altwies stepped down from the case, Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis took over as special prosecutors. In late April, they dropped the charges against the Hollywood star.

But the threat of criminal charges loomed again when the special prosecutors in October said they would convene a grand jury to consider indicting Baldwin.

Gutierrez Reed still faces charges of involuntary manslaughter. She has pleaded not guilty and her case is set to go to trial on Feb. 21.

Staff writer Meg James and Christi Carras contributed to this report.

Hollywood performers union SAG-AFTRA on Thursday said it is not an actor’s job to be a firearms expert, in a statement defending actor Alec Baldwin, who is facing a criminal charge in New Mexico for his role in the accidental deadly shooting on the set of western movie “Rust.”

Baldwin last week was again charged with involuntary manslaughter, a fourth-degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison in the event of conviction.

While rehearsing a scene for the movie in October 2021, Baldwin was demonstrating how he would perform a cross-body draw of his prop revolver when the weapon fired a live bullet that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza. Baldwin maintains that he did not pull the trigger.

SAG-AFTRA said guidelines “do not make it the performer’s responsibility to check any firearm” and that “anyone issued a firearm on set must be given training and guidance in its safe handling and use, but all activity with firearms on a set must be under the careful supervision and control of the professional armorer and the employer.”

“An actor’s job is not to be a firearms or weapons expert,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement on Thursday. “Firearms are provided for use on set under the guidance of multiple expert professionals directly responsible for the safe and accurate operation of that firearm.”

New Mexico’s prosecution of Baldwin, 65, has been fraught. Last year, the district attorney who oversees Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, filed two involuntary manslaughter charges against Baldwin as well as the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who loaded the gun.

After Carmack-Altwies stepped down from the case, Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis took over as special prosecutors. In late April, they dropped the charges against the Hollywood star.

But the threat of criminal charges loomed again when the special prosecutors in October said they would convene a grand jury to consider indicting Baldwin.

Gutierrez Reed still faces charges of involuntary manslaughter. She has pleaded not guilty and her case is set to go to trial on Feb. 21.

Staff writer Meg James and Christi Carras contributed to this report.

Hollywood performers union SAG-AFTRA on Thursday said it is not an actor’s job to be a firearms expert, in a statement defending actor Alec Baldwin, who is facing a criminal charge in New Mexico for his role in the accidental deadly shooting on the set of western movie “Rust.”

Baldwin last week was again charged with involuntary manslaughter, a fourth-degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison in the event of conviction.

While rehearsing a scene for the movie in October 2021, Baldwin was demonstrating how he would perform a cross-body draw of his prop revolver when the weapon fired a live bullet that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza. Baldwin maintains that he did not pull the trigger.

SAG-AFTRA said guidelines “do not make it the performer’s responsibility to check any firearm” and that “anyone issued a firearm on set must be given training and guidance in its safe handling and use, but all activity with firearms on a set must be under the careful supervision and control of the professional armorer and the employer.”

“An actor’s job is not to be a firearms or weapons expert,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement on Thursday. “Firearms are provided for use on set under the guidance of multiple expert professionals directly responsible for the safe and accurate operation of that firearm.”

New Mexico’s prosecution of Baldwin, 65, has been fraught. Last year, the district attorney who oversees Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, filed two involuntary manslaughter charges against Baldwin as well as the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who loaded the gun.

After Carmack-Altwies stepped down from the case, Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis took over as special prosecutors. In late April, they dropped the charges against the Hollywood star.

But the threat of criminal charges loomed again when the special prosecutors in October said they would convene a grand jury to consider indicting Baldwin.

Gutierrez Reed still faces charges of involuntary manslaughter. She has pleaded not guilty and her case is set to go to trial on Feb. 21.

Staff writer Meg James and Christi Carras contributed to this report.

Hollywood performers union SAG-AFTRA on Thursday said it is not an actor’s job to be a firearms expert, in a statement defending actor Alec Baldwin, who is facing a criminal charge in New Mexico for his role in the accidental deadly shooting on the set of western movie “Rust.”

Baldwin last week was again charged with involuntary manslaughter, a fourth-degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison in the event of conviction.

While rehearsing a scene for the movie in October 2021, Baldwin was demonstrating how he would perform a cross-body draw of his prop revolver when the weapon fired a live bullet that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza. Baldwin maintains that he did not pull the trigger.

SAG-AFTRA said guidelines “do not make it the performer’s responsibility to check any firearm” and that “anyone issued a firearm on set must be given training and guidance in its safe handling and use, but all activity with firearms on a set must be under the careful supervision and control of the professional armorer and the employer.”

“An actor’s job is not to be a firearms or weapons expert,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement on Thursday. “Firearms are provided for use on set under the guidance of multiple expert professionals directly responsible for the safe and accurate operation of that firearm.”

New Mexico’s prosecution of Baldwin, 65, has been fraught. Last year, the district attorney who oversees Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, filed two involuntary manslaughter charges against Baldwin as well as the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who loaded the gun.

After Carmack-Altwies stepped down from the case, Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis took over as special prosecutors. In late April, they dropped the charges against the Hollywood star.

But the threat of criminal charges loomed again when the special prosecutors in October said they would convene a grand jury to consider indicting Baldwin.

Gutierrez Reed still faces charges of involuntary manslaughter. She has pleaded not guilty and her case is set to go to trial on Feb. 21.

Staff writer Meg James and Christi Carras contributed to this report.

Hollywood performers union SAG-AFTRA on Thursday said it is not an actor’s job to be a firearms expert, in a statement defending actor Alec Baldwin, who is facing a criminal charge in New Mexico for his role in the accidental deadly shooting on the set of western movie “Rust.”

Baldwin last week was again charged with involuntary manslaughter, a fourth-degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison in the event of conviction.

While rehearsing a scene for the movie in October 2021, Baldwin was demonstrating how he would perform a cross-body draw of his prop revolver when the weapon fired a live bullet that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza. Baldwin maintains that he did not pull the trigger.

SAG-AFTRA said guidelines “do not make it the performer’s responsibility to check any firearm” and that “anyone issued a firearm on set must be given training and guidance in its safe handling and use, but all activity with firearms on a set must be under the careful supervision and control of the professional armorer and the employer.”

“An actor’s job is not to be a firearms or weapons expert,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement on Thursday. “Firearms are provided for use on set under the guidance of multiple expert professionals directly responsible for the safe and accurate operation of that firearm.”

New Mexico’s prosecution of Baldwin, 65, has been fraught. Last year, the district attorney who oversees Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, filed two involuntary manslaughter charges against Baldwin as well as the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who loaded the gun.

After Carmack-Altwies stepped down from the case, Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis took over as special prosecutors. In late April, they dropped the charges against the Hollywood star.

But the threat of criminal charges loomed again when the special prosecutors in October said they would convene a grand jury to consider indicting Baldwin.

Gutierrez Reed still faces charges of involuntary manslaughter. She has pleaded not guilty and her case is set to go to trial on Feb. 21.

Staff writer Meg James and Christi Carras contributed to this report.

Hollywood performers union SAG-AFTRA on Thursday said it is not an actor’s job to be a firearms expert, in a statement defending actor Alec Baldwin, who is facing a criminal charge in New Mexico for his role in the accidental deadly shooting on the set of western movie “Rust.”

Baldwin last week was again charged with involuntary manslaughter, a fourth-degree felony carrying a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison in the event of conviction.

While rehearsing a scene for the movie in October 2021, Baldwin was demonstrating how he would perform a cross-body draw of his prop revolver when the weapon fired a live bullet that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza. Baldwin maintains that he did not pull the trigger.

SAG-AFTRA said guidelines “do not make it the performer’s responsibility to check any firearm” and that “anyone issued a firearm on set must be given training and guidance in its safe handling and use, but all activity with firearms on a set must be under the careful supervision and control of the professional armorer and the employer.”

“An actor’s job is not to be a firearms or weapons expert,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement on Thursday. “Firearms are provided for use on set under the guidance of multiple expert professionals directly responsible for the safe and accurate operation of that firearm.”

New Mexico’s prosecution of Baldwin, 65, has been fraught. Last year, the district attorney who oversees Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, filed two involuntary manslaughter charges against Baldwin as well as the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who loaded the gun.

After Carmack-Altwies stepped down from the case, Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis took over as special prosecutors. In late April, they dropped the charges against the Hollywood star.

But the threat of criminal charges loomed again when the special prosecutors in October said they would convene a grand jury to consider indicting Baldwin.

Gutierrez Reed still faces charges of involuntary manslaughter. She has pleaded not guilty and her case is set to go to trial on Feb. 21.

Staff writer Meg James and Christi Carras contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Bad Bunny, Kendall Jenner reportedly break up

2 years ago

JD Vance and a U.S. Delegation Arrive in a Wary Greenland

1 year ago

Ryan Gosling’s song ‘I’m Just Ken’ hits Billboard’s Hot 100

3 years ago

At Site Where Sycamore Gap Tree Fell, an Unanswered Question: Why?

3 years ago
Yonkers Observer

© 2025 Yonkers Observer or its affiliated companies.

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Finance
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Trend

© 2025 Yonkers Observer or its affiliated companies.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In